American Express used revoked site certificate for weeks

In the past couple of weeks I have seen a few reports that the American Express site (Testurl) was using a revoked certificate. This site redirects to various American Express services.

As of this morning (October 1st) the problem has been fixed.

As I have mentioned before, a revoked certificate is no longer valid, and therefore no browser should give access to the site. In the worst-case scenario, a certificate is revoked because the key has been compromised, and the site is being used by criminals for fraudulent purposes. Revocation of a certificate is analogous to blacklisting of a credit card because the card can be abused.

The available (human readable) information indicates that the current situation was not a worst-case scenario. What seems to have happened is that American Express requested the current certificate in May, then shortly thereafter requested an updated certificate, possibly to correct a minor mistake. The old certificate is revoked automatically after a reissue, and the Web site is expected to use the newer certificate, but it seems that American Express for some reason did not update their server. Since there is no way for a browser to distinguish between a benign mistake and a worst-case scenario; we have to assume the worst.

I am sure somebody is going to mention that the site worked without problems in many other browsers. Yes, it did, but that was because the certificate for this site is issued from a special Verisign certificate hierarchy (which is being retired) that does not specify the revocation list (CRL) download location, so browsers cannot go looking for the information, based on the certificate. The reason why the CRL is not specified may, as I understand it, have to do with the fact that the hierarchy was never intended to be used for Web site certificates, but for authentication of dedicated secure server-to-server connections. Opera may be one of just a few browsers that actually check the CRL for this hierarchy, but we can only do this because we have added the certificate to a list of overrides our repository that specifies where to fetch the CRL, otherwise we would not show a padlock on these sites (and as we discovered last year, Opera users really do check the padlock!).

A partially unanswered question is why reports appeared only so recently. Part of the reason is that a bug in our rootstore repository server caused the CRL override Opera uses to be dropped for 6-8 weeks (we fixed that two weeks ago), but that does not explain why there are no reports before the end of July. My guess, based on information from Netcraft, is that is a new server that was brought online just a few months ago, which turns out to be well into the period when most of the CRL overrides were disabled by the repository bug, which means we did not check the CRL either for this site during that period 😮 .

Once we learned of the problem, beginning of last week, we informed Verisign about it, and I assume they informed the American Express contact for this certificate about the problem.

Yet, more than a week later the revoked certificate was still being used by the Web site, until it finally got fixed last night. Frankly, I expected better from American Express.

1 thought on “American Express used revoked site certificate for weeks”

Comments are closed.